Notecards with "Wheelock Academy" imprint
Notecards with "Wheelock Academy" imprint.
Wheelock Academy, near Millerton, Oklahoma, was established in 1833, serving as a boarding school for Native American girls until it closed in 1955. In 1882, the Choctaw Council authorized construction of a new academy a short distance northeast of the former mission site. Pushmataha Hall opened in 1884, the bell in the tower inscribed with "Defend the Poor and Fatherless." Wheelock was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1966.